Senior Forensic Scientist – Biology/DNA
Forensic Analytical Crime Lab (FACL), a private multi-disciplinary crime laboratory located in the San Francisco Bay Area, has an immediate full-time opening for a Senior Forensic Scientist on our Forensic Biology team. This is position is for an experienced criminalist with a minimum of two years of independent case work.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Perform independent casework – DNA analysts at Forensic Analytical are responsible for overseeing their own cases from start to finish: Examination of physical evidence specimens for the presence of body fluids and cellular material; microscopy; DNA extraction, quantification, amplification, CE 3500/GeneMapper ID-X DNA analysis; RMP/STRmix statistical analysis; report preparation, client consultation, and courtroom testimony when needed.
- Perform independent case review – Work closely with our clients to review case work performed by other laboratories to ensure the accuracy and full disclosure of results, explain what the results mean, make recommendations for additional investigation, and prepare the client for cross-examination of the opposing expert.
- Development of methods – Assist in the evaluation and validation of new analytical procedures and commercial chemistries plus implementation of new equipment, as necessary.
Experience should include the examination and analysis of a range of evidence specimens and biological samples typically encountered in forensic case work.
We are seeking individuals who thrive when given the opportunity to work independently and think creatively to help solve complex cases.
Annual salary up to $120,000 depending on experience. We will also offer a generous signing bonus and/or assistance with relocation. FACL provides a full suite of employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and college loan assistance.
To apply please send a detailed resume and cover letter via email to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please tell us a little bit about who you are and why you think you would be a good fit here at FACL.
Consulting Forensic Pathologist
Forensic Analytical Crime Lab is seeking a full-time consulting forensic pathologist in Northern California to perform discovery review, consultation, evidence examination, report preparation and testimony in civil and criminal cases.
We are a multi-disciplinary private lab that prides itself on seeing what others miss. Criminalists often collaborate across disciplines to provide the most thorough review of the case and the evidence. We are dedicated to helping the justice system by educating our clients about the work we do in addition to thoroughly reviewing the case with an unbiased eye. The client base for the pathology work is largely the criminal defense community, but also includes law enforcement, prosecuting attorneys, plaintiff attorneys and civil defense attorneys. On a rare occasion the performance of autopsies may be requested, however is not a typical service we provide.
Minimum qualifications include:
- A full, current, unrestricted California medical license
- Board certification by the American Board of Pathology in anatomic and forensic pathology
- Documentation of prior testimony and qualification as an expert in forensic pathology
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills
The rate of compensation is negotiable depending upon qualifications. We offer competitive benefits including health, dental, PTO, 401(k). Interested applicants should attach their curriculum vitae to an e-mail of introduction to Rich Bernius.